Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Because "real" jambalaya takes entirely too long

So a few months ago I tried making real homemade jambalaya, and it was really good. It took forever, made a huge mess in my kitchen and did I mention it took forever? I said to myself, I am NEVER making this again unless there's an easier way. So last week when Brian came over for dinner, I decided now was the time to try the easy way...

So maybe this isn't the best jambalaya, but it was really good, so here's the recipe!

First and foremost make sure you have a pot with a lid! That's KEY!

I took your standard green pepper and an onion (I used the pre-diced frozen stuff, worked great), and I let those saute a second or two, to get brown, then I added 1 pound of chorizo sausage, and 1 pound of chicken, all diced up (shrimp would also be a great addition but I didn't use it this time) and threw that in the pot with some cajun seasoning (around 2-3 teaspoons) and about a teaspoon of oregano and some whole pieces of red pepper I threw in. Once they looked pretty cooked I added 1 can of the small diced tomatoes, and about 2 cups of rice and 2 cups of water. I let it sit on the oven for about 20 minutes on low heat with the lid on the pot. Once the rice was done I decided it could use a can of tomato sauce, just to thicken it up a little bit. I also added some corn at the last minute, and thought about adding beans but I didn't have any. Oh well.

Everything ended up being really awesome. Some crusty bread would've been a nice touch too, but it was also, unfortunately an afterthought. Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment